Over the past few months in New Jersey, I’ve encountered a new twist for begging. This form of begging is very unusual in that, you don’t know it’s coming.. You don’t see the request for money, till it’s too late. Read on and please beware as this could happen to you!
- I was at a rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike (Exit 11) and was parked in the parking lot. I parked my car and was dropping off my nephews to be picked up by their mother. I was watching them walk over to their mother’s car and suddenly, next to me pulls up a guy in a 4 x 4 with a child in the back seat.
- He honks at me and asks for me to pull down my (passenger’s side) window. Naturally, I do so as I see that he has child in his back seat. He starts his spiel about “how he was robbed and needs money to get home and needs to feed his son, etc…”. The story is pretty persuasive. Now I’m not insensitive. What ticked me off is that I was parked away from other cars and this guy just snuck up on me in his car very very close to my car on the passenger’s side.
- What was my reaction? I took off, because he could have easily leaned over and pulled my daughter into HIS CAR, or he could have pulled a weapon and attacked both of us!
- This incident really shook me up. Half of me felt guilty for pulling away, but the other half of me felt rage at being violated in such a public place where I felt secure!
- My family were out for a family dinner and were sitting in the car just chatting, before leaving for home. Suddenly, a well dressed woman knocks on the driver’s side window. My wife pulls her window down and the woman starts with her story:
- She was robbed in Northern New Jersey and needed some money for Gas and food.. Keep in mind we are in Eatontown, NJ and what had happened to her was in Fort Lee NJ! Instinctively I said “Sorry, but I have no cash to Spare”. Fortunately, this was enough, the woman went back to her car (A nice looking sedan) and sped away quickly.
- I found this scenario to be extremly dangerous, as we were at her mercy. She could have easily pulled a gun on us put us in serious jeopardy. I guess we got lucky here
Now are these two incidents related or just a result of our economy? Or is this the noveau form for beggging?
I personally felt violated in both scenarios and shaken to my foundation. In both scenarios, my family and I could have easily have been victims of a crime.. I don’t think I’m overreacting when I say this.
Is this the new form of begging where begging is thrust upon you in normally secure and safe environment?
I would recommend that each of you be on the lookout for these tactics as you are putting yourself in risk when you respond.