The software below is all Freeware (free to use).
As we accumulate junk, we need to keep our hard drive clean. Additionally, you need to delete private data in this day of identity theft.. If you insist on spending for something you can get for free, you can always buy software do the jobs below (i.e. Norton, McAfee)
Below are some free utilities that can help with this:
- File Shredder or Kill Disk – Permanently remove files from your PC. Very useful when you want to make sure nobody can recover files that you have deleted. Always remember that your PC will not re-use the same space until it re-writes over the deleted space (and you don’t control this.
- For Mac’s: Put your file in Trash and select “Secure Empty Trash” from the folder menu.
- On a PC if you hold the “Shift” key when you delete file you will be prompted “if you want to delete a file permanently”. Select Yes… I use this method all the time. Reduces the size of my Recycle Bin as well.
- Ccleaner (crap cleaner). This freeware utility cleans the registry as well as all the temporary files on you machine. Has almost weekly updates. I use this on all my machines to clean up the garbage left behind from surfing.
- An Absolute must have for cleaning up the garbage (cookies, temp files, etc) that accumulate on your PC. Best deal that is that its free!
I like the “Free” Price. You can find the software above on Filehippo (which also gives you a listing of all the latest most popular freeware). As many people know: “if it’s free, it’s for me”.