I’ve been thinking over the last few days with my addiction to Facebook. Is there a therapy group that can help me with this addiction?
Here are some of the top ten symptoms of a Facebook Addict:
- You are constantly thinking of what your next status update is going to be.
- You find yourself looking at your iPhone, to see whether anyone has responded to your last posting.
- Before you say hello to your family, you race to the laptop/desktop, to get on facebook when you get home
- Your Facebook personna and your real personna blend into one.
- You yell at your child to get off Facebook, so you can use their computer to get on.
- You tag pictures of strangers on Facebook, just so you get some responses.
- Just to increase your network, you invite people to be your “friend”, even the ones that you can’t really stand.
- You take pictures of yourself and post them, just to get attention
- You make sure all your Other social networking sites, get RSS feeds from your account
- You look at this list and nod your head, saying, yes been there done that.
I find myself dying to get on Facebook just to see if anyone has “poked me back”. A few of my friends and relatives have been poking me and I’ve been “poking” them back for the past few months.. I guess that’s the same type of pleasure you get when you “ping” a friend for no other reason than to just “ping” them.. Don’t ask me what that means.. It sounded good when I typed it.
Fortunately at work, we are restricted from getting a FB fix. At first this annoyed me but after reading the article in Mashable, I kind of appreciate it. Mashable’s stats reflected and documented that Facebook is “the Web’s ultimate TimeSink”.
The excerpt below tells it all.
I get on my teen’s case for racing to her computer day and night for her Facebook updates, but what about me? I find that my fingers start twitching for my fix, if I don’t check Facebook at least once a day for MY status updates and pokes from family and friends.
Oh wait, did I tweet this already?? OMG, I just realized that my addiction goes beyond Facebook.. Now I need to get my tweet fix for today. Of course you can get both fixes with your Buzz.. Now doesn’t that sound like some kind of high you get when you take some illegal narcotics or drink too much?
Ok, I’m going to start my own anonymous addiction group on Facebook (for Facebook and Twitter addicts).. Let’s call it… Are you ready…drum roll please..
FaceTweet Anonymous (FA). Will you join?