Today, we have a guest blogger doing this posting.
Yesterday, I had a discussion with my younger daughter about cyberbullying and she brought to my attention the site named Formspring. The Chicago Tribune had an excellent article on the perils of this social networking site that has become wildly popular with today kids. Feel free to pass this post to your kids and your family!
I’m not providing a link to this site as I want each parent that reads this to speak to their child about using this site. The reason this hit home was because as soon as I had this discussion, I saw a Facebook update from the daughter of one of my family friends!
So without further delay, Here my tween NM (as usual, I don’t reveal names to protect their identity):
Recently on Friday a detective from the Middletown, NJ Police Department came to my middle school to teach us the latest dangers of Cyber Space.
Well listen up parents and children! You might think that Facebook is dangerous, but we have found a even more dangerous website which is ranked #1 most dangerous social networking site! This website is called “Formspring.” I am here to teach you the dangerous risks you or your child having and active account on Formspring.
- 1: On Formspring your child is in the situation where anonymous users can ask random questions about you, including “Where do you live? Whats your name?” Even some questions include sexual harassment!
- 2: Your child can also be in a place where they get “Cyber Bullied!” Cyber Bullying includes the chances of suicide, depression, and just plain ol’ torture!
- 3: Formspring also includes some graphic questions. It is very lucid that there is some graphic questions, so if you do not want your child in that case, DON’T MAKE A FORMSPRING!
- 4: When the detectives came to talk to us about this, they told us that children better be careful because if you are one of these children tha is cyberbullying, they could just simply track you down and take out all ALL of your electronics that have access to internet, so be careful and do not make a formspring!
- 5: All of these reasons come up to one HUGE reason why you and your children need to be protected from sites such as “Formspring”!