I know everyone that reads Dads’ Taxi is very alert about Malware and virusus.
Tomorrow (Monday, July 9th) is when up to 300 thousand PC’s may go dark because of the “doomsday virus”. What does going dark mean? It mean you won’t be able to get on the Internet and update your Facebook status, or do ANYTHING on the internet.
Of course the media is hyping this possible situation to the max and trying to get everyone to be scared silly. Well on Dad’s taxi, we try to alleviate your concerns by providing you with links that were published on Yahoo that you can use to see whether your computer is/was infected. It takes 20 seconds of your time and any one of the links below will do the check for you.
The Taxi is providing these links as a courtesy to my legions of followers. Ok, the ten’s of follower’s I have!
Online security firms, Facebook and the FBI are offering free diagnostic checks for users whose computers may be infected. Here are links to several sites:
• Malware check: http://dns-ok.us/
After you run the real time tester and you see the image below, your machine has been infected!
Keep in mind, this malware was discovered and and baddies that originated this malware were arrested. The information was excerpted from the following Yahoo News Site:
- The problem stems from malware known as DNS Changer, which was created by cybercriminals to redirect Internet traffic by hijacking the domain name systems of Web browsers.
- The ring behind the DNS Changer virus, discovered in 2007, was shut down last year by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Estonian police and other law enforcement agencies.
- Because the virus controlled so much Web traffic, authorities obtained a court order to allow the FBI to operate replacement servers which allow traffic to flow normally, even from infected computers.
- But that order expires Monday, when experts say infected computers will face an “Internet doomsday.”
- Malware Monday: How to check if you’ll lose Internet tomorrow – NDTV (gadgets.ndtv.com)
- More than 20,000 infected computers in India may lose internet tomorrow (indiatoday.intoday.in)
- Will you have Internet tomorrow? (salon.com)
- Virus could black out nearly 250,000 PCs (news.yahoo.com)
- ‘Internet Doomsday’ virus could black out 250,000 PCs (todayonline.com)